Monday, November 7, 2011

It's one of those days where it's none stop at work and then the same thing when you get home. I haven't been able to catch my breath all day. There is laundry to be done, dinner to be made, cleaning to be done, and I'm still hoping to squeeze in a hot bubble bath and finish The Good Earth. My highlights of teaching today were:

1. As I am teaching one of my first graders interrupts me and says, "Hey, Hey Teacher! Did you paint your nails?" I reply, "I sure did." And the student replies, "I like them!" (mind you this student is a little boy) Such a doll!

2. Playing a math fact game of Around the World with my first graders where they have to shout out the answer to the problem before their partner and then they get to move on. My kids start shaking and screaming with excitement when they get the answer right. It's a better reaction then on Christmas day I'm sure.

3. I teach a reading class for struggling readers and today as my fourth graders were silent reading I had a boy chuckling to himself as he read. I cried with joy inside because what a break through that was for me to have a struggling student first understand what they were reading, second understand the author's humor, and last be truly enjoying reading at all.

4. I dismissed my fourth graders after reading to go home and 4 of them tuned me out so they could finish their chapter in their books. I think I am finally getting through to them. My goal for the year was to find out what my students are interested in and help them to find books that they enjoy so reading is fun. I think I'm seeing the success of my labor. I mean how can I be angry at them for ignoring me when all they want to do is read? Not gonna happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment