Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Waste Not, Want Not

I have been settling into this cooking duty nicely and needless to say I have been getting inspiration upon inspiration of dinner ideas. Being poor is a frustrating thing when it comes to grocery shopping. It kills me to spend a lot of money on groceries each week and then something always goes to waste in the fridge. I realized we had the following things that would go bad soon in our fridge: a head of lettuce, yellow squash, zucchini, and celery. These things were left over from previous meals and it was making me cringe to know that they would waste and be money down the drain. Just then it came to me. Lettuce wraps! I never understood how people could just make up their own recipes out of thin air, but I actually experience it and I feel so accomplished and successful.

Ingredients:
1 yellow squash
1 zucchini
4 sticks of celery
1 head of lettuce
2 handfuls of cashews
2 chicken breasts
Teriyaki sauce

I diced the veggies into tiny pieces. I marinated the chicken in Teriyaki sauce during the day. I diced the chicken in little pieces. I washed the lettuce head and separated it. I got out our never-been-used wok from our wedding which I've been dying to use. I threw in the marinated chicken and all the veggies to cook. I also squeezed in some more Teriyaki sauce. I chopped the cashews and threw those in as well. A little while later a masterpiece came together. Jesse and I inhaled it and decided it is a "make often" dish.

Yum


No comments:

Post a Comment